1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened.
Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
4. Beat in orange juice and peel.
Sift together flour and salt and add to egg mixture.
6. Beat until smooth.
7. In another mixing bowl,
beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
8. Add the remaining granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until
stiff peaks form.
9. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter.
10. Fold in remaining egg whites.
Gently spoon into an UNGREASED 10" tube pan.
12. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
Bake on the lowest oven rack for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan onto
a bottle or a wire rack.
14. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
15. Run a knife around the sides of cake and
remove to a serving dish.
16. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Yields: 12 servings.
NOTE -- I have given you the recipe as it is printed in the magazine. When I made it, it took longer to bake than what
the recipe says. Also, when I make it again, I will add a little more orange juice for more orange flavor.
(For 1/12 of the cake, or 1 piece)
3 g. fat
124 mg. cholesterol
135 mg. sodium
40 g. carbohydrate
1 g. fiber
6 g. protein
Diabetic exchange -- 2 1/2 starch
4 Weight watchers points