1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large saucepan mix combine raisins, brown sugar, spices,
salt, and water.
3. Boil hard for 3 - 4 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Add the 1/4 cup butter, stir
in and let cool.
5. Stir vanilla into cooled raisin mixture.
6. Sift together the flour, baking powder
and baking soda.
7. Beat into the raisin mixture.
8. Spread in a well greased 9" square or large
9. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
10. Cool in pan for half and hour.
Serve plain (my favourite) or with icing (DH's favourite).
Keeps and freezes well