This is a hearty, home style soup.
1. Peel and cut the potatoes, put in a pot with cold, salted water to just cover.
2. Cover and bring to
3. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until done, about 25 minutes.
4. Break up the potatoes
with a potato masher right in the cooking water.
5. They should be lumpy, not smooth.
6. Place the kale
and minced garlic in a large pan which you can cover.
7. Add about 1/2 cup of water, season with salt and pepper
and cook over medium heat until the kale is wilted, about 10 minutes.
8. Add more water if necessary to keep kale
Because we like the kale finally chopped, we now add the cream to the kale and process for about 10 seconds in a food processor
fitted with the stainless steel blade. (If you want to cut back on the fat and calories, you may use light cream. If you do,
be careful when reheating so you do not boil the soup and curdle the cream.)
9. Add the kale mixture to the potato mixture.
10. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
11. Add chicken
stock if necessary to thin out the soup to a consistency a bit thinner than chile.
12. Season with salt and pepper
13. Reheat the soup.
14. Garnish with a few pieces of chopped bacon and serve.